Wednesday, November 25, 2009

* Good Reads *


My sister called the other day to recommend a great book to me. I proceeded to then tell her I'd already read it and rambled off a list of books I think SHE should read. So I decided I'd post some of my recent favorites.

Does it bother you when you forget everything you've read? I can't tell you the number of times I've started book journals and logs and accounts and younameit! So, I know this is not all of my reads over the last few months, but these are some that stand out in my non-organized sort of life.


1. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak: Not your average WWII novel. When the story is narrated by death you know you're in for a treat. The addition of a book-loving main character never hurts either. What I loved most about the book was the way death viewed the world through colors. It's beautifully written. Tears were shed.



2. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel- Susanna Clarke: Move over Harry Potter, this English wizarding world is just as twisted and dark and less juvenile. I loved this book! Warning, it was a bit slow for me initially, but pieces fall together brilliantly toward the end of the book. It's also quite thick, only because Clarke fills the book with witty footnotes that create an alternate history. If you're a 19th Century English literature fan you'll enjoy this. Please Read. It's definitely got a following, with blogs like
Oh...and it doesn't hurt that there will be a MOVIE made from this book. IMDB it.



3. Catching Fire- Suzanne Collins: Book two in the Hunger Games series. I'm pretty sure everyone has heard of or read this book due to recommendation on a certain website from a certain Twilight saga author. I'm a little upset that I picked up the first book when it was new, unaware that it was going to be a series. So now I have to wait each year for the next book to come out. Despite my impatience, they're worth the wait.



4. North and South- Elisabeth Gaskell: Recommended to me by several people, a friend at work let me borrow this one. It was good! If you're an Austen fan you'll probably enjoy this. More 19th Century English literature, minus a lot of Austen's satire, but a good romance.
And I've heard the movie's great too!

3 comments:

  1. thanks, annette! I've been wanting a good book to curl up with. (And yes, I've read catching fire and LOVED it. I hate that we have to wait for the next one!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching Fire is awesome can't wait for book three!

    http://themockingjay.vndv.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So apparently the Hunger Games books are a bigger deal in Utah than elsewhere in the country. A friend of mine who resides in Salt Lake just let me in on the secret a week or two ago! I have to say that I have only seen the movie version of North and South but I absolutely love the story!

    ReplyDelete