Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hand Papermaking



On Thursday and Friday of this week I went to Tryst Press for my job and helped make beautiful paper for an upcoming project my Boss is working on.


It's not an easy process and it takes a lot of practice, but the paper is well worth it! From pulp to dry flattened sheets involves many many steps. I've included a video that shows one step in the process. In this clip Rob Buchert is at the vat where he uses his handmade paper moulds to scoop up the fibers and form a sheet. He then passes the moulds to Ethan who couches them onto felts. They make it look easy, but it's not!

Whenever I'm in these extremely odd environments involved in processes that are hundreds of years old I'm amazed at what a great job I have!! Just putting my respiratory therapy degree to good use Dad.




You can visit Rob's website for more paper making videos:

1 comment:

  1. So great to see that beautiful handmade books still inspire you:) I will forever be grateful for the help you gave me with my projects!

    ReplyDelete