Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Autumn Harvest


Guess what I've been doing lately? Turning this:


Into this:



I love canning. It's one of those things that make people think I'm a grandma trapped in a young person body. Tomatoes are the best because I use them all winter in pasta sauce and soup and I know where they came from and that they were grown in the summer. Tomatoes from the grocery store in the winter are yucky.
This is the first year that our tomato plant decided not to grow five feet tall and produce until October, so these are from Shaun's grandpa's garden. We did get tons of cucumbers and I canned five jars of pickles (yum!)

I requested these awesome books a while ago at the Library:



They are so easy to follow and great for beginners. I haven't had a chance to do much with the Dairy book, but I did make some ricotta that was tasty! Ashley English has two other books that I want to read. Not that I'm at all prepared to keep chickens or bees, but I think it's amazing.






2 comments:

  1. so jealous! i wish i knew how to can stuff! maybe you could teach me sometime??

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I'll have some goats and then I will make cheese.

    ReplyDelete